Wednesday, October 7, 2015

The Weightier Matters of the Law: Truth, Grace, and Faith

"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone." (Matthew 23: 23)

When people talk about the law, the Mosaic Old Covenant, most people think that all the "don'ts" are what matter.

What did Jesus day to the most legalistic cohorts in Israelite society during His earthly ministry? The major issues are judgment, in which God declares the truth and error of any issue; grace, which is higher than law; and faith, which is how we live today.

Let's talk about judgment.

We are no longer judged for our sins, not because God has gone soft on sin, but because Jesus, His Son, died for all our sins:

"For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;" (Romans 2: 12)

But for us in Christ:

"Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: 2By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. 3And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; 4And patience, experience; and experience, hope: 5And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us." (Romans 5: 1-5)

and

"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.2For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death." (Romans 8: 1-2)

The Prince of this world, the Devil and Satan, has also been judged:

"And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9Of sin, because they believe not on me; 10Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; 11Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged." (John 16: 8-11)

We have his grace in our lives, for He is our life, and He is full of grace and truth:

"To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved." (Ephesians 1: 6)

and

"But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me." (1 Corinthians 15: 10)

As for faith, we have Jesus' own faith today!

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. 21I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness comeby the law, then Christ is dead in vain." (Galatians 2: 20-21)

The weightier matters of the law -- judgement, grace, and faith -- have all been fulfilled and provided for in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment