Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Through our Groanings, the Spirit Helps Us

"Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered." (Romans 8: 26)

Did you know that the Spirit of God is your helper?

For this reason, and many more, Jesus said to His disciples, and to us today:

"Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you." (John 16: 7)

In a way, however, because Jesus become a man, then resurrected into a perfect body, He chose to limit Himself.

Yet at the same time, His sacrifice permitted Himself to sit at the right hand of God the Father, and thus permit His Spirit to live within all who would receive Him:

"And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:" (Joel 2: 28)

Because of His Spirit, we have the Son now living in us (Colossians1: 27) and working in us (Colossians 1: 29)

This same Spirit gives us the power to pray when we do not know what to pray, too.

These groanings, whether we are in great pain and cannot speak, or we are just puzzled, permit us to pray in an unknown tongue, and thus we can know that our prayers are always in line with His will.

The first mention of groanings here:

I have seen, I have seen the affliction of my people which is in Egypt, and I have heard their groaning, and am come down to deliver them. And now come, I will send thee into Egypt." (Acts 7: 34)

What does the Original Hebrew bear out:

"And the LORD said, I have surely seen the affliction of my people which are in Egypt, and have heard their cry by reason of their taskmasters; for I know their sorrows;" (Exodus 3: 7)

Groanings speak of the end of our efforts, and our willingness to trust His efforts.

Praying in the spirit, praying in unknown tongues, edifies our entire man:

"He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church." (1 Corinthians 14: 4)

Praying in the Spirit permits us to edify every aspect of our lives -- spirit, soul, and body.

When the Spirit prays, He acts as our advocate before God the Father, too, and through the Spirit we manifest the knowledge which He has graced to us:

"1My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous." (1 John 2: 1)

and then

"20But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things."

followed by

"27But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him." (1 John 2: 27)

No comments:

Post a Comment