Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Jesus -- Forever Manna

While wandering in the desert, the Israelites depended on bread from heaven one day at a time:

"And the children of Israel did eat manna forty years, until they came to a land inhabited; they did eat manna, until they came unto the borders of the land of Canaan." (Exodus 16: 35)

God gave them strict instructions on collecting the manna:

"This is the thing which the LORD hath commanded, Gather of it every man according to his eating, an omer for every man, according to the number of your persons; take ye every man for them which are in his tents.

"And the children of Israel did so, and gathered, some more, some less.

"And when they did mete it with an omer, he that gathered much had nothing over, and he that gathered little had no lack; they gathered every man according to his eating.

"And Moses said, Let no man leave of it till the morning." (Exodus 16: 16-19)

Now, the Israelites were commanded to collect just enough for one day. Some preachers have taught that just like the children of the Old Covenant, we should depend on manna, God's Word, one day at a time, for we live by every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord (Matthew 4: 4)

However, Jesus offers something greater:

"I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world." (John 6: 51)

No doubt, we meditate on God's Word, we read scripture to grow in grace and knowledge of the Lord (2 Peter 3: 18), that we may be transformed from glory to glory (2 Corinthians 3: 18).

Yet we have Christ, the Bread of Life, now living in us!

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me" (Galatians 2: 20)

and

"To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:" (Colossians 1: 27)

We do not have to depend piecemeal on receiving daily bread, for in every believer, Jesus the Bread of Life lives within us. Receive this revelation, and put no limits on His provision in your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment