Saturday, August 18, 2012

Reign in Life Like Joseph, not Jacob

Jacob the grabbing Patriarch faced severe trials in his life. If he had trusted in the Lord, living as the prince that God called him to be, he would never have struggled within while reiging without

First, he took his rightful blessing by deceit, instead of trusting the Lord to provide what was prophesied to be his. (Genesis 27). He then had to flee from his brother Esau, who wanted to kill him (Genesis 28).

Jacob vowed to let the Lord by His God, provided that God provided for him:

"And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,

"So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God:" (Genesis 28: 20-21) 

God answered this promise, and more, forg God answers our prayers beyond what we ask or think (Ephesians 3: 20).

Even when He prayed to the Lord for help when his brother was coming to him (Genesis 32: 9-12), and even though Jacob still depended no himself (Genesis 32: 13-21), yet God  helped Jacob, because he received the blessings from Abraham and Isaac, and God granted him favor with his brother Esau

Jacob had twelve children, and their families. He was blessed with goats, cattle, and all kinds of wealth.
He even blessed Pharoah, who reigned above Jacob's beloved Joseph, yet Jacob had this to say:

" The days of the years of my pilgrimage are an hundred and thirty years: few and evil have the days of the years of my life been, and have not attained unto the days of the years of the life of my fathers in the days of their pilgrimage.

"And Jacob blessed Pharaoh, and went out from before Pharaoh." (Genesis 47: 9-10)

Jacob spoke falsely, yet the text manifests him as "Jacob", one who felt that he had to grab for everything.

In contrast, Jacob's beloved son Joseph endured immense privations, yet not once did he admit to any bitterness. When he interpreted the dreams of Pharoah, he went from the prison to the palace in one hour, married and then  had two children, of which he said:

"And Joseph called the name of the firstborn Manasseh: For God, said he, hath made me forget all my toil, and all my father's house.

"And the name of the second called he Ephraim: For God hath caused me to be fruitful in the land of my affliction." (Genesis 41: 51-52)
While Jacob prospered in all that he did, he saw himself as a loser. Joseph knew that the Lord was with him, and rejoicing in his prosperity he praised the Lord for all that He had done.

Beloved, God wants us to love life and see many days. He wants us to prosper, even as our soul prospers. Be like Joseph, see yourself as one to whom all things are added through Christ, and you will prosper and know it and not feel any sorrow over any loss or hardship endured along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment